Christopher Blossom, Fellow
“Revenue Cutter Joseph Lane off Fort Point, San Francisco, 1865”
Oil, 22” x 38”
The Revenue Cutter Joseph Lane was originally built with the name Campbell in Virginia in 1849. In 1851 she was severely damaged in a collision with a schooner during a gale, and was taken to Norfolk for extensive repairs apparently lasting several years. In 1855 she was re-launched with the name of Joseph Lane, shortened in use and referred to as the Joe Lane. Ordered to Oregon, she sailed on May 10, 1855 for the west coast where she was to spend the rest of her career. She alternated between the Puget Sound area, Astoria, Oregon and San Francisco for the next 13 years before being sold out of the service at Port Townsend in 1869. The cutters built to the Joe Lanes’ plan were generally considered to have marked the perfection of the type. Graceful and fast, they were also the last of the sailing cutters in the Revenue Service. Seen here beginning to shorten sail in the afternoon haze, she will be passing Fort Point shortly on her way into the Bay.